- attract people with the theme tune - signature identity
- so people know what they are watching
- to show where the programme is set/time.
- name of the show
- alerts people that the show is starting
- shows the characters
- people in the setting
Dexter Title Sequence:
- normal morning routine filmed to make it look wierd and scary
- normal with a hint of sadisium
- dexter - name of main character
- dark tone
- theme of murder
- he looks miserable/empty
- associates him with death
- casual killer
- music - sneaky but casual/jaunty.
- emphasising sound
- foley track - when he is eating
- slicing orange
- when he killed the spider
- blood dripping
- pulling out keys
- creepy music
- jolly music but the sounds he's making makes it sound creepy
- ding at the end
- music tune fades away when he gets outside (matches his facial expression)
- odd sounds within casual tune
- rattling shakey noise makes it creepy
- music anchors the meaning of the image and other way round.
- tings, rattles - dischordant.
- unnatural, wrong.
- Start- focus on mosquito. kills it. camera refocuses on to dexter's face (smile)
- Extreme close-ups - e.g. cleaning blood, cooking, cutting orange - shows intimate detail.
- close-up on face before leaving house - air of mystery. don't see his face properly until the end.
- mysterious, there's a dark side of this face and a light - represents he seems like a normal guy but he has a dark side to him.
- When you see the meat it's like the camera's in the pan.
- focus on the lock showing he's locking away his dark side.
- Dexter is written in blood.
- Jump cuts - normal things have been cut out to emphasise death related thing.
- meat has been sliced loads of times -connotates slashing flesh.
- way he eats sounds crunchy - cannablism
- in control - doesn't seem like a crazed killer - calm killer plans well
- crushing grounding - coffee beans.
- blood - a lot of red = blood orange, ketchup, title, murder, violence.
- clothes - white t-shirt (normality) t-shirt ised to show smothering when being put on.
- facial expression creepy and seems like a psycho, but is the opposite when he leaves the house.
- props - the way he shaves shows the first sign of blood.
- normal things - morning routine - but the way they are being used and anchorage of music suggests murder and violence.
- way he does things e.g. putting knife in egg and twisting eating eating meat straight off the knife etc. shows evilness.